Thursday, June 15, 2017

Diapers, Paper Towels, Polyester

Things are going good so far. We got all the products I mentioned before and love them! I wish I knew about reusable paper towels a long time ago! They are amazing, I got bamboo ones and they are so much better than regular paper towel. They wash and dry nicely, and I can rinse them off throughout the day to wipe Greyson off after meals, clean up spills, dry my hands, etc. 

The cloth diapers I bought were Alvababy's. I got 5 bamboo lined pocket diapers with 5 bamboo inserts. By themselves they work good, I tried using receiving blankets inside so that the diapers could be reused but that never really worked out. 

Polyester is a type of plastic that has its own negative effects on the environment so as we buy new things like clothes or anything made out of fabric I will make sure to only buy 100% cotton, hemp, bamboo, or wool. Everything else is man made and I want to stay away from that! I know that will be a long process and it will be hard to get all the family on the same page, as some of them but us clothes for the boys, but as long as from now on what we bring into the house is plastic free it's a step in the right direction. 

That being said, the bamboo diapers are actually 85% bamboo and 15% polyester so ordering more of the same just didn't feel like the right thing to do. With cloth diapers it's hard to get all natural materials because it's used on the outside shell to be waterproof, so I found some that are all natural materials on the parts that will touch the baby. When just starting out with cloth diapering it can be very overwhelming because there are so many options and prices! Laura sent me a link to the type she used and I think I will like them. They are an All-in-two system which means you have the outside of the diaper (the cover) and the inserts. With these diapers you snap in the insert and put it on just like a disposable diaper. When you need to change the diaper you unsnap the insert, wipe the cover of needed and snap another insert in. I like this idea because then I don't have to buy a bunch of diapers just a few covers and then however many inserts I'll need to get through a day or two, depending on how often I do laundry. 

I cycled out all our plastic cups and took advantage of a Father's Day deal with the company Klean Kanteen and ordered some metal cups for all 4 of us. I know the boys will like them so I'm excited to get them. 

We are still trying to get this whole new way of life rolling, we have a hard time remembering to bring our reusable bags to the grocery store. I did opt to not use the plastic produce bags and just put them free in the cart though. Step in the right direction. 

I got myself a few new t-shirts and made sure they were 100% cotton, but then didn't ask the lady not to put them in a bag. This will be the hardest part for me, speaking up to people. From family who buy things for us to cashiers, I just have a hard time really sticking up for myself. I tend to just take things as they come and keep my mouth shut. I really need to work on it and just say what needs to be said. 

Other things I've ordered or are going to be getting are: 
wooden cutlery to take with us to places like picnics, family reunions etc. 

Bamboo straws to bring with us to restaurants

Metal straws for at home

No comments:

Post a Comment