Saturday, May 11, 2013

I am Entitled!

So this entry does not directly pertain to not having my mom around but I need to write to feel better or vent. 

Tomorrow is Mother's Day. I love being a mom, I love taking care of Parker. I assume most moms can relate to this, but feeling this way does make me feel guilty...but I just want to not have to be mom tomorrow. I don't mean not be with him, I just don't want to have to do the "work" part. I will gladly do the tickles and hugs and kisses, I would just like to not have to do the diapers and the bottles and all the not fun parts.

So I told Andrew this and he basically said hell no. He asked why I felt I was entitled to a day off. 

This is the vent part, please excuse the anger and frustration. 

Why do I feel entitled to a day off?!!?? Are you freaking kidding me? He works from dark to dark Monday through Friday, when he gets home he does not have to do anything. 

I have one online class this semester and an internship. The internship is on Tuesdays and Fridays, the class for that is Wednesdays. On top of that I work Saturdays. So I get Mondays, most of Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays "off". What do I do after I get home? Work. What do I do on my days off? Work. By work I mean take care of Parker, try to keep up with house work, do homework, and try to learn how to make a living online. Sounds easy right (haha) well to him it does...

So he gets weekends off right, I love that he has Saturdays alone with Parker while I am at work. However, for some reason he doesn't need to do what I do around the house while I am with Parker. I really really think that he believes fairies keep the house clean. What does he do after work? Eats the dinner I made, and goes to bed. What does he do on his days off?play with Parker, sleep, watch tv, and when I am lucky he will do one or two things that I ask him to. 

So back to the original question: why do I feel entitled to have a day "off" from changing diapers and making bottles? Because 95% of my life is dedicated to changing diapers and making bottles, which is not this horrible task that I detest, I just want one day off, the day that is dedicated to that exact thing; Mother's Day.

It honestly feels like we are stuck in the stereotypical roles and that I am expected to do all of the house work and baby raising (and everything else that i do outside the house) and he only has to go to work. 

I feel that I shouldn't have to ask for a day off tomorrow. And I especially feel that after I did ask that he should have agreed with me, not fought it. I want to be appreciated for all that I do. I want him to acknowledge all that I do for him and Parker. I know that his point of view is that I don't appreciate that he has an hour commute both ways to work and usually works 10 hour days. But I work at the very least 15 hours a day plus all the nighttime stuff (which isn't a whole lot because we were blessed with a pretty good sleeper).

I am entitled to a day off. Because I am a great mom. Because I am a great housekeeper. Because I am a great fiancée. Because I am tired. Because I need a day for me. Because I need a day of ease. Because I want a day of only smiles, play time, and tickles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment